1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens red bald spots

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by richvt, Feb 28, 2015.

1. richvt

richvt New Egg

Feb 28, 2015
    [​IMG]
    hi there

We have 8 chickens with 5 of them having bald spots that are getting raw and a little bloody. It's cold here now in vermont and I am curious if people think this is from mites or pecking. I can't see any mites but I don't know if they are to small.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

Looks like feather picking to me. Just make sure you examine all closely and if you don't find any mites or lice, then likely the ones with fluff are the culprits.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  3. richvt

richvt New Egg

Feb 28, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. It's been a long winter and they have not been venturing out of the run so feather picking makes sense to me.

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    My girls first year, all but one had naked behinds. I examined, found nothing, but treated them all ( had dust all over me too). And then discovered it was picking all along. Should have guessed the fluffy one was the picker. This year molt and all are fluffy.

Just keep a watch for pests to be sure and if it is picking you will see likely witness it and know who are to blame. They are unlikely to pick when humans are around, I have only witnessed it from afar. There is a long running thread on breaking it, but no one really has an answer. I did double our coop/run space and it helped.

If you don't have entertainment, get a flock block. Check out the threads on keeping them busy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by