1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens relocating distance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by haikufan, Nov 13, 2010.

1. haikufan

haikufan New Egg

Nov 13, 2010
    Hi, Does anyone know far chickens roam ,I am planning to give them away.If relocated how far will they travel to return .I have a humane trap and wish to relocate a rooster and hen.I do not want to hurt them .Do they have a good sense of direction and can they return from miles away? Thanks for you help. Hope all is well in your world

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

haikufan, the most humane thing to do is to put a note on the bulletin board at the feed store for a free rooster and hen. Craigs list is also good. The answer to your question is that it is quite often that dumped chickens become prey to any number of predators. You might try giving them to a local farm. If other chickens are present, chances are they will stay there, providing the rooster doesn`t get his butt whipped by the local cock of the walk. In that case, the "prey to any number of predator statement" applies. If you really want to be humane about it, do your best to find them a home. Good luck........Pop

3. haikufan

haikufan New Egg

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.I will try to give fowl away.If I give it away though, how far can it travel to return?

4. bonder

bonder Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    To Craigslist, go now....
    Offer your bird; free or cheap
    They won't return home

How's that for a haiku, haikufan?

I agree with the other reply, give the birds to someone. It almost sounds like they are wild birds? Good luck!

5. haikufan

haikufan New Egg

Nov 13, 2010
    nice one , thank you

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Unless you are on a remote island, somewhere, predators are there, even if you haven`t seen them. However, the answer you are looking for is "several city blocks". Chickens aren`t the brightest bulbs in the string and, unless YOU have a familiar rooster crowing to guide them home, they just won`t leave a place where they are fed for a couple days. Again, good luck.......Pop

7. haikufan

haikufan New Egg

Nov 13, 2010
    Thanks again for the info, nice of you to share ,good luck to you and your family

8. midd2005

midd2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Oahu
    i'm on oahu. chickens do have it easier on the islands. however, mongoose and even rats can kill the chickens and of course dogs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by