chickens, roos, & "LOVE"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 25bengood2me, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 25bengood2me

25bengood2me Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Ohio ~ Mid-Ohio Valley
    :rolleyes:My 5 month-old pullet is now on her second day with her third roo. Roo #1(black Astralorp mix) was a hatching date mate, they grew up together along with 4 other roos. The brother roos fell victim to a fox last August. Then, roo #1 got careless, refused to enter the pen one night. That fox was ready!
    Roo #2 was a red beauty! He'd been pen raised, loved to march right inside @ dusk. Lost him to that fox one night my hubby forgot to lock the pen. I was away.
    Roo#3 arrived yesterday. His raising-mom hand raised him lovingly - even tho this Auracana is not the dominant of the two she had. After meeting him, my pullet ran to him, then kissed his beak. He stood perfectly still, watching her, then they both grazed for bugs under my pines. At dusk it took both my hubby & I to get those two birds into their pen for the night. The roo woke me with his crowing @ 5:45 this morning. He never crowed B4 - he was #2, had no rights to crow. Now he is THE MAIN ROO! and looks so proud. My hen has decided to forgo being my shadow, now she has her own guy.
    Do you believe that chickens get emotionally bonded to their roos?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes, I do. My special needs hen, Lil'Bit, follows my roo everywhere. If he holds still for two seconds she's preening him. She does it non-stop. For his part, my roo is very gentle with her. Doesn't mate her often, but takes real good care of her.
    I'm glad your girl has found a soulmate. [​IMG]

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Please continue the discussion here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by