chickens roosting in rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Nov 17, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Tonight I went to check on my roosting dominiques. Many are exposed to rain like my American games almost always are. The dominique roosters exposed to the rain are standing erect like an owl or hawk in normal perched position. Hen dominiques and all American games are perched normally. I think hackle feathers of the dominique males do not shed water like they should. They look coarser to naked eye.

Anyone seen their birds roost oddly in rain?

2. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Do they have a coop that they can go into at night or during bad weather? Seeing that you are in MO they will need shelter from the winter and bad weather. If you do have a coop just ignore my last sentence. Have they ever roosted in a coop or always outside?

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Many coops where some birds have choice concerning exposure to wind and rain. Others (extras) roost where they want which is usually close to cooped birds but no overhead protection. These animals are expected, as adults, to tolerate / thrive when exposed to elements provided by mid-Missouri winter. American games handle it very well so long as nutrition is good.

Something about American dominique rooster feathering promotes them to sit / stand vertically when exposed to rain. I do not think they are comfortable and their health may be at risk during inclimant weather. I will photograph behavior during next rain event.

Problem appears associated with hackle feathers. They seem to let water penetrate to skin. Major exposure problem potential. Games have tight water proof feathering on hackles and do not stand up right in rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by