Chickens roosting on top of trash can instead of roost.Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by our 5 chickie babies, Jun 30, 2010.

1. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hello We are new to haveing chickens and have built them a pretty nice coop.They have a very nice roost in front of their nesting boxes and another about mid way of the coop and about 3 feet off the floor.For some reason they want to sit roost on top of the trash can that I keep their feed in.Sometimes they are on the roost and sometimes they are all stuffed into one of the nesting boxes.We have 5 and they are 12 weeks old.Any answers appreciated.
    JIM

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Is the garbage can taller than the roost? They might be sitting there because it's the highest spot or maybe somebody already got the good spot so the garbage can is just the next best thing. Don't worry.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

My little frizzle roo Dazzle has claimed the trash can lid as his own private roosting spot. [​IMG]

4. our 5 chickie babies

May 31, 2010
    Hello Actually the roost is about 5inches taller then the trash can.but they all want to huddle up together on the lid.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do that too. No idea why. I think they like to be more difficult, because they usually end up pooping all over the lid. [​IMG] Realistically, it's so minor I don't even let it faze me. There's no harm done. It's just a bad habit I've let them get into.

6. our 5 chickie babies

May 31, 2010
    Thanks for the replies I was thinking I was the only one with crazy chickens.. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by