chickens roosting outside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jojo54, Jun 20, 2010.

1. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    We have never had any problems with the girls going in the coop for the night. My DS goes out and closes them in after dark. Last night, he went out around dusk and came in and said the chickens are still out but they are bunched up near the coop. I said maybe they are celebrating the start of summer with longer days and staying up later. [​IMG]

He went out again after dark and came back and said you need to come out and help with the chickens because they are all roosting in the blackberry trellis. [​IMG] We go back out with flash lights and turn on the light on the coop and a cat runs out. [​IMG] No wonder the girls did not want to go in. [​IMG] The four broodies(all empty nesters as we don't have a rooster) were in the nesting boxes and grumbling "NO CAT is going to make me move!!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

We had to carry all the rest of the girls to the coop and they were still skittish. [​IMG] The cat seems to come around occassionally looking for mice but the girls don't like him/her. Too bad they couldn't share the coop with him/her because it would keep down the mouse population that eats the chicken feed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by