Chickens roosting outside

Emwilliams12

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Hello!

I have 5 chickens in a 24x12 coop. It is fully covered by a galvanized steel roof. The height is probably close to 15 feet tall, if not a little bigger.

Inside the coop is a nesting box. It was on the property when we bought it so we just cleaned it up. It's one of those cedar style ones. There's a ramp going up to it. In front of the two nesting boxes there are 2 wood dowels for roosting. There's also a window. They have no issue with laying eggs in there daily.

Here's my dilemma. At night, the hens fly on top of the nesting box and sleep. They do not sleep inside it. This leaves them exposed to the outside weather. I'd think they'd want to sleep inside. Wouldn't it be cozier? :)

They are fully protected from predators since their entire coop is fenced in.

Should I be concerned? It does get pretty cold up here at night. I live in So. Cal in the mountains. I know that we always have frost warnings.

Thanks for reading!

Erica

sometimes it helps to keep the chickens inside the coop for a few days, so they learn THAT is home and will come in to roost at dusk. Maybe the roosting bars(?) by the nest boxes are confusing them. Chicken should only use the nesting box for laying eggs or brooding baby chicks. It is not a bed. I'm not sure from your post if the nesting boxes are outside the coop and causing the confusion. Usually they are indoors which helps prevents eggs from freezing.

Maybe the terminology is the problem. I think you say nest box when it's called a coop(inside home for chickens). A big 24 x 12 area is probably what we call a RUN(outside), although I've never known one with 15 ft.height..

Maybe if you visit the coop/run forum on here you will see what I mean.

Hi, Erica, temperatures while roosting outside are not the biggest problems - predators are. Try following drumstickdiva's ideas.

Back
Top Bottom