Chickens roostnig in the tree, shotgun roosters, no one is laying eggs.

RichnSteph

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Adkins Texas
Several issues on the homestead.

1) Most or our 22 birds are roosting way up high in the trees. I don't mind it so much now but I don't know how I'm going to convince them to roost where they are supposed to once the new coop is built. Thoughts?

2) The above roosting issue has caused another problem. Out of 5 chicks hatched several months ago we have three roosters, we'd hoped for more hens. All three of them are Buff Orpington/Easter Egger crosses and they are really pretty but we have no room for them. So I've got to get them into freezer camp but have no idea how to get them out of the tree. Shotgun?

3) We had some terrible storms last weekend that I think has caused the chickens to stop laying. Before the storm we were getting 8-10 eggs a day out of the 14 layers we have (22 birds- 5 roosters and 1 juvenile) now we're only getting 2 eggs and they are from the same two birds. Will a storm drive chickens to stop laying for a week plus?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

RichnSteph

I am by no means a chicken expert but as for getting them out of the tree, have you tried special treats? maybe a pumpkin placed at the bottom of the tree and just wait for them to get curious enough to come down then nab them!

I do not have advice on the laying issue, someone else might though. I really don't know if weather affects laying or not. I know the amount of daylight does but I don't know about storms. Sorry!

I'm sure you will be getting more and better answers soon.

I can see two problems with them roosting in the tree - owls and raccoons.Honestly, I'm kind of surprised you haven't lost any to them. If you shoot the roosters out of the tree, you will ruin some (if not all) of the meat. We hunt duck and pheasant so I know what bird shot can do. It's also bad for your teeth if you don't get all the pellets out of the meat... They obviously come down during the day. Is there anyway you can put up a covered run for them, lure them in with irresistible treats and lock them in? If so, that would make your life much easier. When you build your new coop, you can build it so it's attached to your run and get them in there that way. I know, you like your chickens to free range, and that can still happen after you reset their systems to roosting in the run/coop area. It may take awhile if they've been in the trees for a long time, though. The storm could have put them off laying for a while, as will changing their living habits if you do decide to confine them for a time. Any time a chicken upset (new flock members, relocation, trauma of any kind), it can affect their laying.

I can see two problems with them roosting in the tree - owls and raccoons.Honestly, I'm kind of surprised you haven't lost any to them. If you shoot the roosters out of the tree, you will ruin some (if not all) of the meat. We hunt duck and pheasant so I know what bird shot can do. It's also bad for your teeth if you don't get all the pellets out of the meat... They obviously come down during the day. Is there anyway you can put up a covered run for them, lure them in with irresistible treats and lock them in? If so, that would make your life much easier. When you build your new coop, you can build it so it's attached to your run and get them in there that way. I know, you like your chickens to free range, and that can still happen after you reset their systems to roosting in the run/coop area. It may take awhile if they've been in the trees for a long time, though. The storm could have put them off laying for a while, as will changing their living habits if you do decide to confine them for a time. Any time a chicken upset (new flock members, relocation, trauma of any kind), it can affect their laying.
Ditto Dat^^^

Plus if they are as 'free ranged' as they appear to be, they may be laying 'who knows where' out in range area.

Back
Top Bottom