chickens running around zoo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by willowtreeaviary, Jul 3, 2010.

1. willowtreeaviary

willowtreeaviary Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Hi, all! I visited the Natural Bridge Zoo yesterday. They had chickens running around everywhere, with chicks galore. Can anyone identify the following three?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm quite certain this last one was a bantam of some sort. Thanks in advance, Kerry

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I'm not sure, but that splash is beautiful!

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    First one looks kind of like an EE or Americauna. The second not sure, though australorp at first - but that might be what I think for any black chicken at first lol - Is it a bantam? Kind of looks like one..no idea what that one is or the roo. The roo might be a game, idk. All those birds are pretty though, nice pics [​IMG]

4. willowtreeaviary

May 16, 2010
    Quote:Yeah, I agree (that's her baby behind her - she had two trailing her every step). Do you think the middle one is a Jersey Giant? Thanks for the reply.

5. willowtreeaviary

May 16, 2010
    Quote:Thanks, Tiramisu, I appreciate the feedback. I didn't even think Australorp (I say that as if I've been into chickens for longer than I have been [just a few months] and as if I actually know anything -- there is so much to learn!). Because I have a Jersey Giant, now I think every black chicken is a Jersey Giant - oh, the bane of familiarity. Thanks again.

6. devilspawn

devilspawn New Egg

May 21, 2010
    Coatesville
    The third pic looks like it could be an iowa blue.

7. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Quote:Thanks, Tiramisu, I appreciate the feedback. I didn't even think Australorp (I say that as if I've been into chickens for longer than I have been [just a few months] and as if I actually know anything -- there is so much to learn!). Because I have a Jersey Giant, now I think every black chicken is a Jersey Giant - oh, the bane of familiarity. Thanks again.

I doubt it is a BA though, legs should be black, and unless those aren't its chicks and its younger it should have more noticable comb/wattles and very red [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  8. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

that splash is [​IMG] GORGEOUS! whatever it is, i'll take 20!

9. willowtreeaviary

May 16, 2010
    Quote:Me, too!! I couldn't agree with you more. I asked a few of the zookeepers if they knew what breed she was and if I could have some of her chicks, and they replied no on both. Oh, well. Splash is obviously one of my favorite patterns, because the Splash Orpington cockerel was my favorite and the one of the four cockerels I most regretted having to give away. Thanks for the reply.

10. willowtreeaviary

May 16, 2010
    I appreciate the explanation, Tiramisu - thanks. What do you mean by "BA", BTW? Cheers, Kerry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by