Chickens Running Together? Do Roosters Fight?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SGM, Nov 19, 2008.

1. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I hear so many people say they turn their chickens loose together and they'll mention having one type of rooster and another and another. Do the roos not fight?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have two brahma roosters, raised together. All my chickens free-range together all day long.
    The only thing that comes anywhere close to fighting is when my subordinate roo tries to get a little "action". When he does my alpa roo runs over and knocks him off the hen and growls at him. That's it. Mating aside, they get along just fine.
    Every rooster is different of course. Some seem to be looking for a fight at every turn.
    edited for spelling

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  3. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Yeah I know roos raised together get along, but I'm talking about turning them loose together for like the winter when you don't use the eggs for much else than eating.

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Roosters raised together do not always get along. Mine fought like the dickens until the extras were butchered. I kept 3, and had to butcher another one because all he did was fight with the others.

Now I am down to 2 roosters that run together. The only reason they get along is because one is very dominant and the other is a complete pansy.

The only way to know if they will fight is to turn them loose. They'll probably fight in the beginning. If they are still fighting a week or two later you might have to separate them. Some people say you can keep them together as long as they aren't drawing blood.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Meh... I have several roosters in pens together with hens, no fighting. I have several roosters that roam the yard together with hens, no fighting. I even have some roosters in a pen without hens, no fighting there either. [​IMG]

Now I do have certain individuals that I would not allow to be around other roosters. They're special, lots of spirit & heart in them. [​IMG]

6. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I have 21 chickens and three of them are roosters.
    One is an older roo and the others were rasied as day old chicks with the all the other chickens.
    Occasionally Hoss (the older roo) will chase the EE roo (Al Runion) around and try to spur him. Usually it is when AL oversteps his boundaries and tried to romance the ladies.
    The other roo Dougie, seems to be invisible to Hoss.

7. cqranch

cqranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Russellville
    I have 8 roosters all running together with the hens. They fought some when first released together, but now that the pecking order is established there isn't any. However, the older ones seem to have their own set of hens and will go running when any of the other roos tries anything with them.

8. SGM

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    This is interesting. I may have to try it at some point. Won't be anytime soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by