1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens sad now. Gardening is over and here comes old cold winter!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by edible_chicken, Oct 26, 2011.

1. edible_chicken

edible_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Gardening season has been finished for most part other than my tomato plants. They have been heavy producers all season long, that is until last weeks heavy frost. So I picked what was left/good and dug up the plants. As i was digging them up, my chickens had the saddest look as they stood by the garden. They looked so sad (big mama was upset and squawking) They couldn't believe I was digging up the plants. They were so pitiful that even I started to feel sad. I had let them eat tomatoes past month and now they don't know what to do since the garden is gone.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Aw, poor chickens. Mine always go into shock at the beginning of their first winter. They don't know what the heck all that snow is, they miss the grass and they're never experienced cold like that before. They are so happy when spring comes again! I guess they thought they were in a permanent ice age. [​IMG]

After the first full year, they take it all in stride. Maybe you could do some wheat grass or sprouts for them. Maybe not as good as tomatoes, but they might like it.

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    plant a cover crop of winter rye, they'll be happy again [​IMG]

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    When I enlarged my Chicken run a couple years ago, I built it to share a fence with the garden. Best thing I ever done. I now can let the chickens into the garden in the fall/winter to glean/clean/till/fertilize for me. It only takes a light tilling in the spring to prepare the seedbed and the garden has increased it's production tremendously.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by