1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens scared by balloons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Aug 12, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    This morning two balloons launched from Jefferson City, our state capital. As they floated overhead all my chickens hid and made all sorts of ruckus. After balloons passed, birds moved about like a school of "fescue sharks" trying to make distance between themselves and threat.

2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Aren't chickens funny! Mine do that with low flying airplanes.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Fescue sharks! I love it! Your poor chickens just knew the hawks had mutated into a new life form, and everybody would surely die!

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Heh, that doesn't surprise me at all. Between the noises those balloons make, and the fact that chickens are already programmed to fear attack from the sky, they must be pretty scary beasts, balloons!

5. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    That would have been a sight to see! We live on the approach path to the international airport and get planes flying low and loud quite often and our chooks seem oblivious to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by