Chickens scared stupid! Stopped laying in nesting boxes.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lillyrosesmum, May 5, 2016.

1. lillyrosesmum

lillyrosesmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    We have 4 layers that lay nearly everyday. A little over a week ago a rat snake was in their coop. :oops: We have since fixed the problem (hopefully :fl ) but now everyday has become an egg hunt. I keep "messing up" every place I find one but they always find a new one. Anyway to get them laying in the boxes again?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Put fake ceramic eggs in the nestboxes and than give them time, it was a horrifying experience for them. I'm surprised they are still laying, usually something like that will cause them to halt for a bit, though it usually takes a week before you notice a drop in production.

3. lillyrosesmum

lillyrosesmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2016
    East Texas
    It's been a week. One stopped laying but I assume its because she was attacked by a neighbor dog. We heard the commotion and ran outside and saved her without a scratch. :th she was definitely shaken but OK. I'll try the eggs and see what happens!

4. irelandstormy

irelandstormy New Egg

May 5, 2016
    I had three hens and a rooster. My neighbors dog are one of the hens and since the the two remaining hens have not laid a singe egg. This has been going on for about a month now. Any suggestions?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Lock em up in the coop for a few days to speed their 'recovery'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by