chickens scratching and eating in septic water-eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by milo2145, Jul 16, 2010.

1. milo2145

milo2145 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2010
    huntsville texas
    I need a little advice! help!

this is the situation, UPS truck makes a delivery last week and instead of turning around in our very large driveway, decides to reverse in and turn around on the small lawn behind my house and consequently gets stuck. after revving the engine and sinking his wheels deep in my lawn we have to pull him out with the tractor.

the next day we notice a large pool of stinking water in our lawn, and come to find that the truck broke our septic lines, we have not had a chance to fix it yet and the chickens decided it was great to drink and scratch in the dirt, eat the nice grubs in there etc yuck!

anyway I have covered the area over now so they can't scratch in it, but should I throw the last few days of eggs away?, I hate to waste them, but I also don't know if I would like to eat them!

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Instead of throwing the eggs away, why don't you cook them and feed them back to the chickens? It didn't kill 'em the first time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by