1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Chickens See Snowflakes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilBizzy, Nov 21, 2008.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    We had some fat little flurries a little bit ago (now its alot more flurries). The girls noticed, and tried to chase the snowflakes. Some of the girls were trying to see where the snowflakes landed, and others were actually trying to catch flakes as the fell. Silly chickens.

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Mine did the same thing. They did catch a few. Now that the ground is covered they won't come out of the covered run. Chickens are great to watch.

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    mine came out, pecked a bit and ran back in. They have stayed in eversince. They are funny. Jean

4. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I found my chickens are not fond of snow at all especially since we just had a mini blizzard! Got about 1 foot. They'd rather stay inside the barn I guess. Can't blame them! [​IMG]

5. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    They always find something to chase!!! In the spring and summer, it's butterflies. In the fall, it's leaves,and in the winter, it's snowflakes!

6. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    My goodness- you already have snow! Of course this is bizarre to me I live in East Texas. We can only dream. Now I really want some snow to fall to watch my chickens. If I am lucky we will get a little dab in January- February. I will putting out seeds in March. I was just outside here and it is maybe 40 with a strong north wind and I thougt I was cold. You might condsider this warm:frow

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We're just over our second storm, two major power outages and some surging today.

Yeesh. Add 2 ft snow to the pics below, I haven't had the energy today to go back with a camera, after digging...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by