Chickens seem to be mourning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eggz2go, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Eggz2go

Eggz2go Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    North Florida
    We had six Buffs, greatest free range happy chickens ever. They were all over the yard and would follow us everywhere looking for a treat. Last week we lost two to dogs and now they mostly stay in the coop not wanting to free range althought the door is open and they have stopped laying since losing their friends.

They seem to be missing the lost two, that is the only reason I can come up with. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Sure would like to perk them up, they are not even interested in their favorite treats.

Would appreciate feed back if you have noticed this behavior.

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Poor things, they are probably really stressed, anxious and upset about the whole frightful experience.

I think it comes down to the old adage of "Only time will heal these wounds." Spend some time sitting with them each day, talk quietly to them, offer treats, and let them come out of the coop in their own time. Forcing them out won't help alleviate their fear. They need to be nursed back to feeling secure.

Good luck with it. It must have been a very stressful time for both you and them.

Krista

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are suffering stress from the dog attack. A predator attack will frequently cause a cessation in egg production and a general fearful reaction for quite a while.

4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    It will take time. One of my Buffs was too quick for a predator, but lost a big patch of feathers where it tried to get her. She started molting after that and stopped laying eggs. The other 3 hens are OK and are still laying. I think it will take them some time, but it will pass if they are allowed to re-emerge when ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by