Chickens Seem to not be Eating

Victor31

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
Hello, first post, and I need some help. My chickens have been acting weird lately. And every time I go out to check their food levels, its right about where it was a few days before. And when I come outside they come running at me, and whenever I have a treat, they go crazy. Even for scratch grains. It seems to me their not eating... Could someone maybe give me some explanations for this? Also I feed them Layer Feed. Thanks.

I had a bag of feed that my girls absolutely refused to eat. They were literally starving. The feed looked and smelled fine, no signs of mold or spoilage. They would not eat it dry or fermented. I took it back to the feed store, and got a replacement bag, this time getting a high protein multi flock b/c they were so compromised. They took to the new feed right away, and have been doing great since. I'm suggesting, that even though you can't detect anything wrong with this feed, your girls sure can. Try replacing it and see what happens.

Last edited:
Good point.

ALWAYS, check the date on the bag before you buy it. Whole grain lasts a while but chicken feed is perishable. Once ground, grain loses value and flavor quickly. In the commercial poultry industry, chickens get feed within a couple days of manufacture. That's where they have an advantage over small holders.

I've seen poultry feed from disreputable stores with feed well over 6 months old. If someone had 4 chickens and bought that feed, they might be feeding stuff that's a year old. Bad idea.

I've also seen packs of vitamins/electrolytes that had expired by 3 years. I told them about it and a couple years later, it's still on the shelf.
I check expiration/manufacture dates of everything I buy.

I have 3 Chickens, and the feed is crumbles.. Has never been wet. Something may be wrong. I will try another feed and see what happens.

No I didn't taste it and don't want to.. haha bringing home some new food in a little. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom