chickens sick i think

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kman, Dec 9, 2009.

1. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    the other night i went out to check on the chickens, they where all roosting , all was quite and i heard one cough and then looked in that direction, then my little rooster made some noisy not sure what didnt sound good and a bubble come out one of the nostrials. what could this be and what could i give them for it, i really do not want to loose my rooster as he is to become a breeder, he is a silver laced wyndotte he is 6 months old to 8 months old cant find where i wrote it down.

2. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Isolate suspected sick roo, and watch carefully with others. If they start to sneeze/cough/gasp/wheeze then you'll either need to put on meds or cull because it is probably something like Coryza, Coccidosis, Infectious Bronchitis, some other respiratory disease, or a very rare disease like Newton's disease. I'm no expert but isolate, keep an eye on them, and don't overreact too soon (I've been known to do this). What's done is done, and whatever chickens have been together were probably exposed. It could be nothing, but be patient to ensure that you diagnose and judge the right way. here's a table for some help:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044#TABLE_1

3. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    thanks that helpped alot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by