Chickens sitting like dogs.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by redwa, Oct 11, 2007.

1. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    I went into the coop the other day and two of my chickens were SITTING DOWN (bottoms on the ground, legs straight) in the same position dogs or cats "sit". Has anyone else ever seen this before? Is it normal? Then they just got up and walked out of the coop. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. They seem to be perfectly healthy otherwise. Any thoughts?

2. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    Mine do it allll the time it is completly normal the other day one scared the heck out of me doing this walked all the way over to her said "hey you still kicking" she looked up and stared at me like "why are you bothering me" stood up gave a good shake and walked away.

3. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Redwa-

Were they in the sun or sunny spot? Mine do that in those places too...and you're right, it is scary but funny to watch...

...of course, they do it in the shade also, but, only when it's too hot out so, it depends.

Chickens! Go figure!

~C:->

4. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    This I gotta see! Somebody please post a picture [​IMG]
    Stephanie

5. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Do the look like donkeys/horses when they're sitting on their rumps?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  6. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    I am so glad to hear that other chickens do this. When I saw them they were "sitting" in the sun that was coming into their coop (open air avian style). Yes, they look exactly like donkeys/horses sitting on their rumps. I will try to get a picture because it is really hysterical. I thought they were either sick or evolved..... I was waiting for them to ask for some afternoon tea.

7. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Yes...definately some pics! Now I'm sort of wishing mine would do that. My husband and I are always amused by them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by