chickens sleeping funny?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheChickMan, Mar 12, 2012.

1. TheChickMan

TheChickMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    My chicks sleep with their necks all the way out laying on the bedding. Is this weird. I thought they should be all cuddled up with each other. The thermometer goes every where from 90 to 110 in an hours time so are they stressed. they seem comfrotable when they are away though. any comments are greatly appreciated

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

they might be too warm, how old are they?

95 the first week
    90 the second week
    85 third week
    80 fourth week
    75 fifth week
    70 sixth week (my outside temps match this so mine would be outside with no light)

---

Cold chicks peep loudly, and huddle up
    Chickens that are too hot lay down to sleep- far from the light and don't get up

3. TheChickMan

Mar 12, 2012
    i bought them from orschelns on sunday so they are probaly 3-6 days old. they spread out when they sleep but are fine and stay under the lamp like normal when awake. confused on what to do

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

If they seem happy do nothing, if they are avoiding the light they are too hot.

5. TheChickMan

Mar 12, 2012
    great, thanx for the info

6. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    Mine sleep that way sometimes, they are now also trying to sleep on the roost I put in the brooder (large branch). Mine are already at about 80-75 temp at 3 and 1/2 weeks. They seem fine and do not huddle under the lamp or anything.

7. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Mine did that too. They'll stop doing it after a few more days.

Mine are almost 3 weeks old (tuesday) and are enjoying the cooler temperatures around 77 degrees.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  8. hollyertley

hollyertley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Georgia
    I have one that will stretch it s neck all the way out and have its legs stretched out too. If I see them panting I know it is too hot for them. I put in a smaller bulb and they all seem happier now. In the picture attached it shows the red bulb (which was recommended) on top of the kennel brooder but it was way too hot for the chickens. They are much happier with the 125 watt bulb. You just have to see what works. If you feel like they are acting like they may be too hot then they probably are.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by