chickens sleeping on floor

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elite8, Feb 1, 2011.

1. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    I have been keeping the coop lit for around 17 hrs a day.Cut it on in the morning and off around 8 after I get back from work. Last night when i went out to check on them and cut the light off 3 of the 9 were laying on the floor. They all appeared healthy. This morning I forgot to cut the light on and when I went out there tonight 6 of them were laying on the floor. I cut a light on and they all got up to eat. Not sure what's going on.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Light levels may drop too fast for birds to find / go to roost. Setup a night light to run 24 / 7 and see if birds start hitting roost.

3. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    I just put a 15 w light bulb in the coop. Maybe that's the trick. We'll see Thanks

4. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I use to turn the lights off,wait 1-2 minutes and turn them on again. The girls sometimes got the hint it was bed time and jump up on the roost. Other time they would just keep on doing what they were doing befor. Now if they are not on a roost when I go to turn off the lights they sleep on the floor. They are just like kids, they never want to come inside when it rains and they never want to go bed at night

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have a couple that prefer to sleep on the floor of the coop. Could be because they're older, could be because they're fatter! [​IMG]
    There are plenty of roosting spots available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by