Chickens sleeping on ground

wrenheninn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Is it ok for my chickens ot sleep on the ground? I have plenty of roosting area inside the coop, but they sleep right in the doorway huddle together on the ground. They are 15 week old RSL.

maybe they are afraid of the dark... that's what mine used to do before I put a light in there to get them used to sleeping on the perches...
hu.gif

Oh my gosh! I thought your post title said, "Chickens Sleeping Around." LOL!

How high are the perches? They may need some encouragement. Try going out around dark and putting them on the roost. You will have to keep doing it until they get the point.

I have put them up there a few times, but not at dark. Perches are about 2-3 ft off ground. I guess I will try putting them up there for a few days straight. Does it hurt anything for them to be on the ground?

Silkie chickens sleep on the ground. I have had a "silkie Pile" every night now for quite some time. It is amazing what chickens you see in the morning in the silkie pile. My big Ol' cochin roo always sleeps in the silkie pile. Other chickens visit it. Must be a comfort thing.

I found my old buff orp hen dead in the pile (natural causes). She never slept there. I guess she found comfort there in her last day.

I would not worry too much about this.

Back
Top Bottom