Chickens sleeping on roof coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 3000rpm, Jul 30, 2011.

1. 3000rpm

3000rpm New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    i have a problem, im new to my hens got them 2 weeks ago and have 5 in total

i got a coop big enough for 8 hens and i have 5 so plenty space and it has an outdoor small run, i did plan to have them freerange all day in the whole garden but they were making a mess so i built a large run around 15 foot by 10 foot and its concrete slabs on ground with straw over the top to keep it clean, i also have a clear roof so light gets in and its nice and dry

my problem is that the hens do not go inside to roost at all, when it starts to get dark they all fly onto the top of the coop and sit on the roof, i then need to pick them up one at a time and put them inside and i lock them in

i would prefer if they went in by themselves is there anything i can do so they will do this or would it be better to just leave them to figure it out themselves

i am worried to leave them out all night incase they start making a lot of noise as i am in a housing area, during the day they do not make much noise at all though, we do have some foxes go around but im pretty sure they could not get to them with the metal wire and concrete on the ground

any help would be great thank you

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You have a couple of things going on here. First, they're new, so they don't consider the housing as their "safe zone" yet. This will take time; continue doing what you're doing by physically putting them in at night. Second, does the housing have plenty of airflow?? Have you stuck a thermometer inside so that you can see how warm/hot it is inside there of the evening? If there isn't good airflow, it may be an oven in there, and that's why they're not going inside. And finally, if the housing does have good airflow (it's about the same temp inside as out), you might try placing/turning on a small light inside the housing each evening, about an hour before it gets dark. One of those battery operated pushlights or even a flashlight would work. They may be attracted to the safety of light as it gets dark outside. If they go inside, then you can just turn the light off when you go to check on them for the night. [​IMG]

3. 3000rpm

3000rpm New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    thanks for the fast reply

i live in scotland so im sure its not hot for example today is 13°C

the coop is nice and cool inside but i will fit a light inside, i was thinking of a low power 3 watt led light would this be good enough

once i get the hens into a routine of going indoors at night on their own does anyone use an automatic door closer and opener at dawn?

im not sure if i really need to lock them up at night as i have the coop with built in run, but with the small door open its within a bigger area run so there is no danger or is it best to lock them up

4. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I let my chickens free range during the day--well, I WAS. Quite a few of them suddenly started roosting on the fence and in trees and we had to get them down every evening and putting them in the coop. So for the past few days I started leaving them in the pen. I'm hoping they will get the idea. One thing I did early on was to put some netting up over top the whole pen area which keeps them from getting out or up on the chicken house. You might consider putting up some netting and bringing it over to the edge of the building roof so they can't get up on it. That would protect them from any hawks as well if there happens to be any around. Just a thought. [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Well that's nice for you to be in a cool part of the world - over here in the US we're baking hot!!!
    I think to attract them inside, you'd need a white light rather than a red light, because you want them to really notice it...kind of like if you're lost in the woods at night time and you see a bright light - you think 'safety."
    It's always BEST to shut them inside the housing each night, even with a contained/covered run attached. Of course you have to do what works for you. I have an auto door, and I've been leaving my pop door open for the past several weeks just because it's been so dang blasted hot here. My run is covered with welded wire and partly roofed, but I know I'm still increasing my odds of a predator getting to them; it's a risk I'm willing to take right now due to the heat. So do what you feel comfortable with.

6. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    We put a small solar powered light in. We put it on the roof of the coop. You can use the kind that line a walk way. It was inexpensive and
    we did not have to run a power cord out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by