Chickens sleeping on the ground

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peep Nerd, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Peep Nerd

Peep Nerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    About half of my girls seem to prefer to sleep in a group on the ground. They have several places to roost but I keep finding them on the hay in a little huddle sleeping. Is this normal/ok?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, that is normal. Most chickens like roosting, but some prefer to huddle together on a flat surface. My more "chicken-like" chickens (for example, those which are less developed for show) will always roost no matter what. But my show-quality, extremely developed White Wyandotte Bantams and Cochin bantams like to sleep on the ground--apparently, the roosting instinct is not strong in them. After a while, though, even floor-dwellers often begin to sleep up with all the others.

While sleeping on the floor tends to make birds more dirty, it isn't harmful to them. I'd just make sure that you have a good layer of bedding in the coop so that your floor-sleepers don't get cold in the winter.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  3. Peep Nerd

Peep Nerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2013
    Thanks! Every time I think I've got a handle on these girls they switch it up on me. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by