Chickens sleeping on top of coop

michael61182

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
After I changing the hay last time in the chicken coop, they started sleeping on top of the coop. They've always slept inside and when I changed the hay I used the same one.
I changed the hay then we left the coop door open and went out of town for a few days. The day we got home we noticed they were sleeping on top of the coop. We put them inside and the we're trying to fly out. We let them out and now they have been sleeping outside for about 4 weeks. They still go inside during the day to lay, but they won't sleep in there anymore.

Do you have roosting bars in your coop? Maybe you should install a few so they can sleep up there.

I would also lock them in the coop for a few days, so they learnthat the coop is where they eat, drink, and sleep.

They have 1 bar inside. I only have 3 chickens. Maybe that's the problem, we leave their food and water outside the coop. They're spoiled and want out in the mornings when we lock them up. I'm not worried about predators here where I live.

They have 1 bar inside. I only have 3 chickens. Maybe that's the problem, we leave their food and water outside the coop. They're spoiled and want out in the mornings when we lock them up. I'm not worried about predators here where I live.
What size is your coop? What type of 'bar' are you using for a roost bar?

You may want to add another roost, thicker or thinner or higher or lower than the other one. Some chickens just want variety. Oh, Chicken minds!
D.gif

And yes, do keep some food and water in the coop.
Lucky you to not have to worry about predators! Not even stray domestic dogs or cats?

Mine also suddenly have been doing that. Nothing has changed. I don t get it. Oh, I take it back, there is one thing that changed and that is the weather has gotten colder. Sure don t get it.

Thanks for everyone's replies, sorry I have been very busy and havent had a chance to reply.

The coop is about 4ftx4ft and the roost is an old wooden mop handle. I only have 3 hens, so the coop isnt too big. Whats funny is that they still go in to lay.

I may try to add a bigger roost. Maybe a 2x3 or something. I live in AZ in the middle of the city. We have squirrels from time to time, but it's rare to see them. We have 3 dogs and all the other neighbors also have dogs. I rarely see any cats around the neighborhood.

Thanks for everyone's replies, sorry I have been very busy and havent had a chance to reply.

The coop is about 4ftx4ft and the roost is an old wooden mop handle. I only have 3 hens, so the coop isnt too big. Whats funny is that they still go in to lay.

I may try to add a bigger roost. Maybe a 2x3 or something. I live in AZ in the middle of the city. We have squirrels from time to time, but it's rare to see them. We have 3 dogs and all the other neighbors also have dogs. I rarely see any cats around the neighborhood.
No, the coop isn't too big, it's barely big enough. They're getting bigger and may feel a bit crowded.

Definitively put in a wider roost, 2x3 or 2x4 wide side up.

Do you have good ventilation?

I Would Say The Ventilation Is good.
The door in the front is always open and there is a small screened window on the side.

Back
Top Bottom