Chickens Sleeping Outside at Night

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
Hello all, my hens have resorted to sleeping outside on their perch instead of inside their coop. I am kind of worried, as I live in a more rural area, and coyotes are plentiful. I have seen them walk along our fence, and as a chicken owner, that's pretty scary, knowing that predators are nearby. I have tried placing them one by one back inside their coop, but they walk right back out! Not to mention, even when it rains they stay outside....and get drenched! Could they get sick? I keep their coop clean with fresh pine shavings, and I keep all spiders out! Is this normal behavior?

Hello all, my hens have resorted to sleeping outside on their perch instead of inside their coop. I am kind of worried, as I live in a more rural area, and coyotes are plentiful. I have seen them walk along our fence, and as a chicken owner, that's pretty scary, knowing that predators are nearby. I have tried placing them one by one back inside their coop, but they walk right back out! Not to mention, even when it rains they stay outside....and get drenched! Could they get sick? I keep their coop clean with fresh pine shavings, and I keep all spiders out! Is this normal behavior?
They most likely do not like something in that coop. Maybe it's the shavings, the lack of roosting place, no nest boxes or they don't feel safe. (Is there a crack somewhere) Try or change some of these. Maybe a smaller entrance.

It gets about 50-65 degrees at night here. There is a small screened window and their coop door is open. Is that enough ventilation?
It would depend a bit on the window location relative to the usual wind direction. For instance in my back yard the wind tends to blow in from the north so I have my coop turned so the air currents are maximized. Is the window opposing the coop door? If not there may not be an adequate amount of air circulation. There's some really good articles in the learning center here on BYC with great photos. I know it can be difficult to imagine the logistics from text.
I wouldn't rule out other things as well, have you been using the same bedding on the coop, did you use a cleaner with a scent recently? Chickens don't like change lol!

It gets about 50-65 degrees at night here. There is a small screened window and their coop door is open. Is that enough ventilation?
Photos of your set up would help with assessing.

As a general rule you want 1 sq ft of ventilation per standard hen. In a hot climate such as yours, adding even more would be ideal.

Welcome to BYC.

There is a small screened window and their coop door is open. Is that enough ventilation?

Probably not. The usual guidelines are to have a minimum of 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen. Ideally, this ventilation is above the chickens' heads while they're sitting on their roosts because heat and ammonia both rise.

My empirical test is to put my head and shoulders into the coop on a warm, sunny day. If it's hotter in than out I need more ventilation. :)

If you post photos we can help you evaluate your setup.

I'm a new chicken mom. My chickens sleep outside of their coop, in the secure run, on a roost. They've never shown any interest in going inside at night...?

Back
Top Bottom