1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens sleeping

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobelot, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Hello all
    I'm wondering do all chickens sleep with there head under there wing cause mine don't I was wondering if most chickens do that

2. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]
    This was at night! (The camera flash makes it look like day) Some of my girls do and some don't.

3. Awwww that's so cute when they put there head in there wing I wish my chickens did that !!!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    All of mine do unless it is extremely hot, then they sleep with neck extended. Birds noted with heads up, even with eyes closed are not fully asleep. I have birds roosting on front porch that suffer frequent traffic of family and dogs at all hours of night. As a result they sleep soundly when I stand over them enabling observation of sleeping behavior.

5. Hahaha
    They are very light sleepers
    When I see the trio sleeping under the tree ( I think there sleeping ) I take one step closer to look at them and WAM there awake and on there feet

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Birds sleeping on front porch 2 years ago.

[​IMG]

Same birds in nightshot mode for better picture of what is going on.
    [​IMG]

Brooding hen that is only partially asleep. Such hens are very difficult to approach without even slightest disturbance causing eyes to open. Note chick with outstretched neck. It likely moved away from brood patch to cool off just before photograph.
    [​IMG]

Harem master (father of chicks) and broody hen both only partially asleep. Sometimes harem master will take over brooding at night once hen begins brooding subsequent clutch.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by