chickens sneezing and rattly chest

Leah123

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Hi I am new to the forum. I hope you can help me as I've spent endless hours searching the web for advice on my chickens illness.

I purchased 10 hens about 2 months ago now. They are thriving and I've actually just had my first chicks yesterday from one faverolle.

BUT, I did notice a few were sneezing and a bit "rattly" in the chest when I got them home. I have continued to watch them, hoping that it would pass. It doesn't seem to be though, and I think a few others are now sneezing and wheezing, I can hear it particularily at night when they are getting to sleep, they sound like old grandpa snoring!!!

Other than this they seem healthy and have a great free range life on our farm with an execellent diet, but it still persists?

Any ideas? I am particularily concerned about them passing it on to the mum and her new chicks, who are tucked away in a corner of the coop.

Thanks kindly:D

Quote:
Leah...I would definately speperate mom and babies from the rattly group. Birds dont get colds but they do get respiratory infections that can spread very quickly. I had this once and used duramycin powder in their water. it was as Winter was ending and it cleared up within the week. You can get that at TSC--read up on that and other medications will pop up to read about-good luck

Thanks Sonew123

I will do that. I am just trying to think of where I will put them!!?? I looked up your suggestion I think its a penicillin or antibiotic?? Just wondered if there was anything natural or that I could use and I am worried that we wouldn't be able to eat there eggs? Also I am wondering if in the circumstances I should take the chicks off her inside and then I can keep them warm and clean etc till they are stronger... I am torn on this one as my mummy hen has tried so hard with her first babies!!
sad.png

Love your advice!!

Quote:
If the mommy has something -then the chicks sure will too from being so close to her this whole time-dont seperate besides that would stress babies and mom -which might intensify the illness. Put her in a big dog crate with babies-food and water-it is PNC-she wont be laying eggs to eat anyway since she has a brood with her-so your good there.

Back
Top Bottom