Chickens sneezing, breathing weird, then dying-we've lost 2 this week!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cookfor4, May 14, 2009.

1. cookfor4

cookfor4 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Can someone help us? We've had these for about a year, all different kinds. A week ago, we had one die, out of no where. I noticed some where breathing weird and sneezing, and one rooster was crowing funny. Now I went out today and he's dead. Another one looks like he did yesterday. What is this? Does this sound familiar? Is there anything I can do?

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Have you brought in any new chickens?

3. cookfor4

May 9, 2008
    No, we had brought in some new ones 6 months ago, but we have'nt changed anything or done anything differently. We don't have overly friendly chickens, but I have been trying to watch them. I don't know if we should try and seperate the ones that look sick or what?

4. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Yes I would seperate them and then go get them some antibiotics from the farm supply store. southern states sells it here. Good luck. Do a search for antibiotics on here and you should be able to figure out what kind to get. Or maybe someone will know and answer you.

5. cookfor4

May 9, 2008
    Ok Thanks! I don't know if anyone sells them around here-I know our vets won't deal with them-we live in the heart of dairy country-so it seems like chickens aren't a big priority:(.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    See if the state vet will come in and test for you. Mine did for free [​IMG]

7. johnkang

johnkang Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by