Chickens Sneezing, Use Tylan?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UnionMan, Jan 3, 2013.

1. UnionMan

UnionMan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    I Recently purchased some chicks/pullets a couple weeks ago and have some in a coop and some in a brooder under heat. I noticed the other day that they were both sneezing. I had 4 3-4 week old marans chicks in a brooder under a lamp and have 7 pullets in a coop outside that I also noticed sneezing. I work shift work and have been gone for a day, 24hrs. I left my wife with the task of feeding and she didn't notice anything while i was gone. This morning when I went out to do the morning duties I noticed that 3 chicks in the outside coop were dead as well as one of the marans chicks in the brooder. I have been reading where it seems i should give them Tylan. Looking online it seems also that by giving tylan injectable seems to be the route since you can make sure ever chick gets the proper dosage. I was wondering what the dosage should be for the chicks and older pullets? The pullets are around 12 weeks old and the chicks 3-4 weeks old. Also would i need to purchase needles for each bird and each dosage? I read where it said treat for 2-3 days. So i would need around 25 or so needles to give treatment for 3 days. Any info would be helpful. I dont know what i would do without this forum.

Thank you.

2. UnionMan

May 3, 2012
    I forgot to mention last night had been the coldest night of the year so far when it got down in the mid 20's

3. wantbantams

wantbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    My chickens got like that, none died, thank God, but I bought soluble tylan. I put 2 tsp dissolved per 1 gallon of water. Make sure that they do not have runny noses. I have also heard that denegard is also really good.PM me if you need more help or have more questions.

4. VentuckyChick

VentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    Can you get tylan at the feed store? I had two hens that started sneezing and no matter how many antibiotics we gave them they didn't stop and ended up dying. Not trying to worry you, UnionMan, I'm just trying to get more info in case this happens to me again! Best of luck to you.

5. chrys64moore

chrys64moore Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    I just used Tylan and doxycycline to clear up a resperatory infection in a 6 mo. old hen, but I'm not sure of the dosage for chicks.

6. UnionMan

May 3, 2012
    I ended up getting Tylan 50 at tractor supply and gave the younger chicks 1/4ml and the older pullets 1/2ml. Ill give it to them for a total of 3 days and see what the results are. I also put electrolytes in their water.

7. star2525

star2525 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Zanesville, Ohio
    My Internet is now an Android phone so texting is very time consuming. My cell phone 740-607-9225 is best to reach me. I will try to help you help your birds.
    Victoria

8. miss silky

miss silky Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    Illinois
    My 2 outta 3 hens are sneezing 1 has a runny nose. I,ve been treating with antibiotics from a feed store but not much improvement, almost been the 14 days. Does anyone know how long to treat with the Tylan? Thats gonna be my next try. My sister has a bunch of powder tylan for her bees

9. mariaschickens

mariaschickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    Tylan ,tylan, tylan!!! My whole flock got sick from one sick hen that i brought in. They were sneezing and coughing terrible. I bought Tylan 50, used for injections and gave it to them orally. Now,this isnt the easiest way to administer but it worked!! I used a needle with the needle part taken out..( my daughter takes allergy shots) and for my full grown hens i used 2 cc of medicine, now this is for the tylan50 they make tylan 200 as well, i dont know the measurements for that. I gave my whole flock 2 cc for 7 days. I did this at night when they went to roost, i just plucked them off one by one. Getting the medicine down their throat is kinda hard, you need at least two people to do this. And be careful not to break their necks and beaks while trying to hold them and open their mouths. I hope this helps, if you have anymore questions just ask..

10. wantbantams

wantbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    How long do you have to withdrawal from eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by