chickens sneezing, wheezing, with watery eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by momonator, Nov 16, 2011.

1. momonator

momonator Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Earlier this week, I had my young rooster with one eye almost swollen shut, with mucus coming out of his beak. He was lethargic and not eating much. I thought he had injured his eye, so I swabbed around it with some neosporin. Today, he's much better. But now I have 3 hens with watery eyes and sneezing and 1 is wheezing really badly. I had recently put hay in their coop which I had never done before. So after I read about this could be the problem I had Hubby rake it out. How do I get electrolytes in their water? Help!

2. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    Get some tetracycline hydrocloride and mix 1 tbsp to a gallon of water mix it fresh each day and use for a week should clear them right up. Any tractor supply or agway will have it it in a white and yellow bag. Make sure you have plenty of ventalation in you coop also

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. momonator

momonator Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks for suggesting the tetracycline. Just got back from getting it, but I noticed the warning says not to use on egg producing chickens. What?! Is the warning telling me that once I use it, I can never use any eggs from these hen. Or am I supposed to wait a certain length of time before I can start eating their eggs.

4. HenOnTheHill

HenOnTheHill Out Of The Brooder

If you use an antibiotic on hens that are laying, then I believe there is a two week period after they are off the antibiotic that their eggs need to be destroyed. After that time passes, then the eggs should be healthy and back to normal. Good luck with your sickies. I hope they recover soon!

5. rexannastar

rexannastar Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    west central WI
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering how things turned out. I've got a small group of hens going thru something similar right now. looking for info and advice. thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by