Chickens Sneezing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by acorn265, Nov 12, 2013.

1. acorn265

acorn265 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2013
    ChickenLand
    At night when I go into the chicken coop to count them and lock the chicken door, I noticed that they are sneezing. I haven't heard it any during the day, only at night. It is getting colder here (November) it just started getting down to freezing at night, but we haven't had problems with them getting cold before. And, some of them have dried black-ish gray trails coming out of their noses. I just assumed they had chicken cold, but it has been going on for awhile. Any ideas?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They might have a mild respiratory disease. Respiratory diseases are especially common in cold weather and winter. Try giving them some electrolytes and probiotics to help out their immune system. If the sneezing continues, or if more symptoms develop, get antibiotics (in fact, you should probably get some now, so that you have some on hand if they get worse). Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA-280, and Terramycin are all good antibiotics for respiratory diseases. Tylan50 is another posiblity, but its usually given as an injection, so wouldn't be as practical if you have a large flock.

3. acorn265

Oct 28, 2013
    ChickenLand
    Thanks - will we still be able to eat their eggs while they are on the medicine?

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    No, you shouldn't eat the eggs if your birds are on antibiotics. There's generally a withdrawal period(usually around two weeks) after the treatment is done, too.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. acorn265

Oct 28, 2013
    ChickenLand
    Ok. Thanks!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you have enough ventilation in your coop?

7. acorn265

Oct 28, 2013
    ChickenLand
    I think so, there is a strip of hardware cloth a couple inches wide all around the roof, but the only time the chickens are in the coop is at night (they have several acres they free range on during the day) so I'm not sure if ventilation would be a problem.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just asked because lack of ventilation can make any respiratory issues worse, they spend half their lives and most their poops in the coop.
    1 square foot of open vent per bird, 4 sq ft of coop floor space per bird blahblahblah.....but it's always good to check these things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by