1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens sneezing

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Gabbychicky, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Gabbychicky

Gabbychicky New Egg

Sep 13, 2014
    Upstate New York
    I haven"t posted in awhile. My girls are laying in Upstate New York in December. WOW. My question, I have used construction sand in the outside covered run and it is very dusty. The girls have developed black around their nostrils and seem to be sneezing or trying to clean their nostrils. I've replaced the sand inside the coop with KleenKoop and that has worked well. Today I removed a lot of the sand and put down one bale of KleenKoop in the outside run. The girls look dirty because they dust in this dusty sand. What should I do or am I on the right path.

2. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    What kind of girls? Peas, laying in December in upstate New York? That would be a discussion item for sure [​IMG] Do you have males with trains?

3. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    Wash your sand to get rid of the dust, maybe? Sneezing peas is bad. Nasty nostrils is bad. Respiratory illness is VERY bad.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    They are speaking about chickens i believe [​IMG]

5. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    It looks like this is a chicken question? (as the thread title is "Chickens sneezing"...)
    You've landed in the peafowl department [​IMG]...Perhaps posting in the chicken department would yield better results...

6. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Garden Peas is having a blond moment [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    Yeah, you got that right! All day [​IMG] I forgot to get my brain out of the jar on the counter this morning.

Glad you guys are here to help keep me straight [​IMG]

8. Gabbychicky

Gabbychicky New Egg

Sep 13, 2014
    Upstate New York
    These are definately not peas. How do I get to chicken thread?? I'm new to this and it's sort of confusing where to post. Thanks, peas are beautiful.

9. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Under this post you should see "Forum Nav:" with a drop down menu, click on the arrow and the menu will open, find "Emergencies/ Diseases/Injuries and Cures" and click on it. Or click this link.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck w/ your chickens, drop in and visit anytime, sooner or later we'll talk you into a couple Peacocks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  10. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Yep we are pea enablers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by