chickens + snow = freak out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Daisy8s, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Last night we got our first real snow--about 5 inches. All my chickens are pullets so I couldn't wait to see how they'd react! As expected they rewarded me with quite a funny start to the day.

I opened the door this morning and the black bantam who is usually first out of the coop swooped right down off her perch to head outside. She hit the snow, did this crazy, skidding, double-take and tried to get back inside. However, the other two bantams who always follow her had already made their swoop down to the door entrance and so they blocked the first one from getting back in. What ensued next was this general flurry of black wings on white snow as all three found themselves more than chest deep in cold, wet stuff!

Seeing each one panic only lead to more panic and finally they couldn't take it any more and took to flight. These bantams (perhaps Sumatrans?) fly pretty far and high but only when completely freaked out. So, I hear this flurry of wings and realize three of my chickens have just flown the coop! I go outside and look all around--it should be easy to spot three black chickens in a totally transformed winter wonderland, right?

I cannot see them. I'm pacing around getting snow in my shoes when suddenly I spot a single black tail, about 8 feet off the ground, emerging from the branches of the lone pine tree in my yard situated nearly 30 feet from the door of the coop. Upon looking closer I spot all three of them huddled onto different branches.

So, instead of a partridge in a pear tree I have three chickens in a pine tree!

Update: about 15 minutes later they flew back into the run. All is well.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Chickens are funny about snow. Some don't take any notice of it, but others freak out at the sight of it and refuse to step foot on it.

Glad your birds found their way home. Silly things.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

LOL great story!

[​IMG]

Mine are the same way. They are heavier breeds so they can't fly up to a tree. Or at least they have me thinking that they can't. [​IMG]

Wish you took some pictures! That would have been quite cute to see!

4. RBahmer

RBahmer Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens did the same thing except they are heavier breeds and can't fly. A lot of mine are pullets and never seen snow. When they see me come to their pen to open the door they crowd it wanting to be the first one out. When I opened the door this morning they took one look and turned around to go back in. Finally a few of the older hens went out and some followed. They looked at me as if to say " What is this crap?" lol.

5. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Mine weren't all that impressed with snow either, but have gotten over it mostly (they run for any bare spot they can find under vehicles, in the woods, etc). My comedy show was the other morning when we had freezing rain. I had thrown their treats (leftover scraps) out in a dish off the driveway & the race was on to get there!! Have you ever seen chickens skate?? I had between 10-20 of them sliding across the driveway. Others saw them sliding & ran the other direction only to hit a large shallow, frozen puddle, and slide the other way. It was so funny to see them slide & skitter all over, every which direction! The ducks were hilarious too! To top it all off, the goats got out of their fence & added to the chaos. That was the quickest we've ever gotten the goats back into their fence. They were HAPPY to go inside to their pen.

6. Daisy8s

Daisy8s Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Quote:That's a great visual! [​IMG]

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My chickens LOVE the snow. They wanna eat all the pretty sparkles!

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm convinced somewhere deep in the DNA it's programed that SNOW EATS CHIICKENS!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]
    It's amazing how far a heavy breed hen can fly when it comes to avoiding snow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by