1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens & Snow

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tricia's Triple Z, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Tricia's Triple Z

Tricia's Triple Z Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2007
    I can't keep my girls in, whenIgo in the coop to feed or just for a visit in the AM they run by me and out. It isn't real cold here but we have a dusting of snow and it is actually snowing right now. We are in New Jersey the winters aren't normally harsh here, plus it is early in the season. I do not think that they will want to go out in the deep snow. I have 12 Guinea Fowl in he coop with them. also, a heat lamp for extra. I close them all in at night and open the door in the AM. I am afraid of frostbite. Any input? Thanks, Tricia

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    one article that I read either in Backyard Poultry or a farm magazine said to unroll a couple of those large round bales of hay in their run and let them scratch and pic through it all winter...not to put it down until maybe January, I think? Then the ground underneath the hay does not freeze and the chickens can still get some insects, etc. Also, the hay gets mulched and makes a good place to garden the next year if you move your run. I plan on putting down the bales in different spots, to create good soil and to allow my chickens to free range as long as possible.

3. Tricia's Triple Z

Tricia's Triple Z Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2007
    I have wood chips down, they were free from my local township garage. I put a huge truck load in. They LOVE it, digging andplaying in it. I was wondering can their feet freeze if they are outside?

4. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    so sorry I did not welcome you earlier...welcome to byc [​IMG]
    If you read the threads you will find lots of info and advice on wintering your chickens. Try using the search buttom up in the blue header it has helped me find lots of things. [​IMG]
    What kind of chickens did you get? Can you post pics of them? We all love seeing photos.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They'll learn to go back inside to warm up when they get too cold. I keep an eye on pullets at the beginning of their first winter, to make sure they are dealing with the weather ok. For example, this last week our pullets from this spring got themselves stranded under a patio table on a day when it was snowing hard for the first time. They took refuge under the table when it was lightly snowing and before long it was deep snow all around and they didn't know how to get back to the coop. I was watching out for them and rescued them. The next day they chose to stay in all day. By the following day, they were going in and out just fine, to the section of the run that's tarped to prevent deep snow from accumulating. They were just taken by surprise that first day.

6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    that is funny about the chickens taking cover and getting stranded. You did a good job rescuing them. Mine have yet to encounter a heavy snow. They came out today and thought the ice on the ground (thin covering on grass) was a treat and they all went crazy picking at it. I suspect they won't do that when it covers everything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by