chickens sounds are muffled

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GopherBoyFarms, Jul 29, 2008.

1. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    Our 20 week old cochin girl. She normally is very "talkative" if she gets a treat she lets everyone know she has it....runs around with it in her mouth and makes this honking sound...its really cute. Last night before they went in for the night I went out to see the girls and she sounded funny. kinda a sneeze sound, and she let me pick her up (she ALWAYS runs from people). Her sounds are muffled, like there is something in her throat. I held open her beak and DH looked down her throat...saw nothing (we have no idea what we are even looking for). So last night I brought her inside in the pet taxi and covered it with a blanket so she could relax and sleep. She is the same today. I just gave her some oatmeal and water, she is eating some of teh oatmeal, but I havent seen her drink water yet. I did feel her crop area and it didnt feel full or swollen. I kind of rubbed around on her throat and she didnt react but if I push right below her waddles her tounge kind of sticks out and mouth opens up, but I dont want to do damage to her.
    I dont know if I should put her back with the flock or leave her in another night?
    I am wonderfing if she is sufficating slowly or something?
    any ideas?
    she doesnt seem to have and mucus, and I cant tell if she is having trouble breathing.
    Can something be caught in her throat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by