Chickens Spitting Up Water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jesus freak, Dec 23, 2011.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    I went out and gave my chickens some water and while they were drinking I picked one up and it started to spit out water, so I picked up another one and the same thing happened. Does anyone know what this is. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

They will do that if they have water in their crops and you press the crop when you pick them up. NOthing wrong!

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    It's normal. Chickens are hogs, if they eat their food real fast and then drink water, it will also happen.

4. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    agreed it is normal you have just squashed their crop as you picked her up and pushed some of the recently drunk water up. Scared me the first time it happened to me

5. Completely normal! They can even do this when scared or many other reasons.

6. FiFiFeather

FiFiFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    North Washtenaw County
    lol, my RIR did that one hot day last summer. I startled her when I came around the corner of the rabbit hutch. It freaked me out, too!

7. BCarlin

BCarlin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2013
    At my house, it started with
    1 and now there's about 6 who are coughing. It sounds like a bark. Even as they are roosting at night they are coughing and hacking up water. They don't really seem to feel bad. First I thought one might be chocking or that they needed some gravel to help grind up their food. NOW 6 though.. What gives?

8. RevPennyDean

RevPennyDean New Egg

Oct 1, 2014
    It is possible that you may have put pressure on the crop after they have drank water but more likely they probably need to be dewormed. Wazine is good for this put a capful in a gallon of water for two days and repeat once every month. You should worm them every 30 days. Good luck with your chickens, have a blessed day.

9. Katrien

Katrien New Egg

Feb 11, 2015
    mine is spitting up the water and then dies. what could this mean?

10. keila

keila New Egg

Jun 24, 2015
    California
    I was very nervous when it first happened to me as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by