chickens spooked by neighbors cat at dusk, 2 missing

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by shoregirl68, Jul 23, 2013.

1. shoregirl68

shoregirl68 Chirping

Jul 23, 2013
    Maryland
    My 4 month old chickens put themselves to bed in coop between 8:30 and 8:45. They share the coop with 3 mallards and 1 pekin. Tonight I saw the chickens start their slow ritual of getting into the coop and up on their roosts. The ducks always need a little coaxing to get in. I had to go inside to get my 7 yr old daughter to bed and came back out at 9 to see the neighbors cat being chased by my cat (my cats do not bother our birds and if anything are intimidated by them), 2 chickens missing from the coop, the pekin running around the yard quacking to get the mallards who had been spooked and flown off. I managed to get the mallards and the pekin inside but can not find 2 of the chickens. I searched the entire yard including my neighbors, the bushes, garden etc. I even had 3 different vehicles with high beams on shining in the yard so i could see....search for over an hour. It is now midnight and am so worried about my 2 missing hens. My daughter will be so upset if anything happens to them and one of the girls that is missing is my favorite. Any advice at all is appreciated. We are new to all of this. We've had a problem with our neighbors dog before but never a cat. Our girls are pretty feisty, they chase our cats, other large birds like crows and I even watched one of them chase a poor bunny around for about 5 minutes.

2. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If it is dark, the chickens have settled in for the night somewhere. You should see them in the morning.

Probably appropriate to follow the same course of action with the neighbor's cat as with the neighbor's dog.

Good luck.

Chris

3. shoregirl68

shoregirl68 Chirping

Jul 23, 2013
    Maryland
    Thanks Chris

They were outside waiting the next morning. The neighbors dog is still slightly an issue. Not sure what can be done other than reporting to authorities. I've been setting a trap out at night for the cat because it also get into fights with my cats who are older.

Hopefully all will work out although one of the "escapees" has now taken to roosting on our heat pump at bed time...crazy girl!!

4. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If one or more doesn't want to roost in the coop, confine them there for a few days to re-orient them to "home." You want them to be in the coop night to be safe.

Chris

5. shoregirl68

shoregirl68 Chirping

Jul 23, 2013
    Maryland
    Thanks Chris. I have just been picking her up and carrying her to coop. I put her in a higher special spot so she feels like the little princess that she is...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: