Chickens spreading diseases to rabbits??!!

MegPie

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
I will be soon moving my rabbits into my shed for winter, they will be in there along with my chickens. Is there any diseases or illness that can be spread between them?? My chickens recently all suffered from a respiratory infection that killed 2 of them. I want to be sure nothing can affect my rabbits as they are show rabbits!! Please help!! Thanks

Coccidiosis and a chicken cholera I believe.

If they are in separate sections of the shed and are completely away from each other/can't get in contact with each other then I guess it would be okay, but I wouldn't risk it. My friend houses her rabbit near her chickens and the rabbit is okay though.

I guess I don't have any other options right now. I only have one shed, its a larger garden shed. The chickens have the back area which is chicken wired and enclosed. The rabbits will be in hanging cages against the side walls. I plan on doing the preventative coccidiosis treatment on all animals before putting them together. What should I do about the chicken cholera?? Is there a vaccine or anything for it? Thanks!

Rabbits and chickens do not get the same strains of coccidia--all animals get their own strains which don't get passed to each other.

Back
Top Bottom