1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens stand out in the rain?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McCoop, Nov 6, 2011.

1. McCoop

McCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Ramona
    Why wouldn't my hens go back into their run and house when it was pouring down rain? They all lined up on the outside of the coop but didnt go to the otherside where the door is to go back in?? Is it ok if they get wet? I also have trees in the yard they could have taken cover. [​IMG]

Do your chickens do this too?

2. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Some like the rain because it cools the ground off and them as well. Mine love the rain.

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Same here. [​IMG]

4. sacrifice

sacrifice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    It rains over half the year here - something like 200+ days of rain, drizzle, or mist. In the spring and summer only half of my run is covered and sometimes the chickens are out in the rain, and sometimes they are in the dry part of the pen. I think they enjoy the rain and the bugs and easy digging that muddy ground brings. Anyway, for the most part, the water just runs off them so I don't worry about them being in the rain at all.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    and sometimes they stay out in the rain because they can't remember where the coop door is - duh!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by