Chickens started laying and then stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Deedrahsue, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Deedrahsue

Deedrahsue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Fresno, TX
    So I have 15 buff orpingtons, they had stopped laying and yes we had a drought issue here in Texas so I understood that, but then after 10 months of not laying heaven, we were getting 8-10 eggs a day last time they laid that much for us was November, they had stopped completely from then to about January mid somewhere. A rooster showed up, actually two of them from my neighbors next door and I think that had something to do with them not laying as well , it scared my group at first they would run and howl. But then they seemed to have gotten used to it, my chicks free range on an acre of property we have. So end of January or mid they started laying again, but out of 15 hen I get 1 egg maybe two a day, some days zero. What is the deal? They even started laying in my bushes and quit laying in the coop, Feb 9th they were a year old, I am so dissappointed with my group this year. Anyone else having these issues? Had these issues, is there a reason they quit laying so much? Uhg I want to start over but I am not the kind who could simply get rid of this flock, my aunt told me of a man who would buy them at 10 a piece and I am not sure what to do. They do get supplemented with laying pellets daily. Any help or advice would be nice.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    Are they hatchery birds? I have noticed alot of peoples chickens have quit laying lately. I have two black, four lavender orpington pullets, and three coronation sussex pullets, all the same age, I get a egg a day from the sussex, and the blacks have quit completely, and only get one a day from the four lavenders. I haven't found orpingtons to be good layers compared to many breeds. I also have a couple of rir's and get 13 eggs a week from the two.

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    You mentioed that they get supplemented with layer pellets daily. Do you mean their main food is something else?

4. Deedrahsue

Deedrahsue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Fresno, TX
    Yes they are hatchery chickens, my aunt bought some from the feed store and she said they are great egg layers I bet it is the hatchery. To answer the second questions yes, they rome on our property all day. We have gardens and they feed from that and scraps. Sunflower seeds, stale bread and such. They are mostly grazers they are free.

5. Lynny25

Lynny25 New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    I don't know if your chickens still aren't laying but you may want to lay off the scraps like bread. I give mine fruit/ veggies and mealworms. A farmer/ chicken expert once told me bread, rice, pasta are all energy wasters for chickens, they spend to much energy burning the carbs and not making eggs! Also may want to keep them in coop for a couple days, may be laying in bushes! Good luck!!!

6. Lynny25

Lynny25 New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    I don't know if your chickens still aren't laying but you may want to lay off the scraps like bread. I give mine fruit/ veggies and mealworms. A farmer/ chicken expert once told me bread, rice, pasta are all energy wasters for chickens, they spend to much energy burning the carbs and not making eggs! Also may want to keep them in coop for a couple days, may be laying in bushes! Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by