Chickens started laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country girl 76, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Country girl 76

Country girl 76 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    Hi everyone, just had a question. Our chickens just started laying their first eggs over the last few days, but I don't believe they are using their laying boxes. Did the whole ping pong ball and gulf ball thing but they are laying in a corner of their coop. Any ideas as to how to get them to lay in the laying boxes that we haven't done? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

2. rbuilder

rbuilder New Egg

Jan 14, 2014
    get some wooden eggs----pick hens up and put them in the nests---they will get the hint

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did you leave the golf balls in there? I would think ping pong balls are too lightweight.
    I keep a couple golf balls in the nests all the time, and 8 hens use all 4 nests.

Are the nests easy to get to?
    Have you seen them in the nests at all?
    How many nests-how many hens?
    How big are the nests?

If they just started laying, they maybe just haven't figured it out yet, sometimes it takes awhile.
    Every time you find an egg on the floor, put the egg in a nest and put something on the floor to keep them from laying in that spot.

4. Country girl 76

Nov 22, 2013
    Thanks for the ideas. We have left the balls in the boxes. Three boxes, three hens and they are easy to get to. My daughter found an egg in on box today after school and when I came home from work, found another egg in the nesting box. So hopefully that once was a fluke. :). My oldest had the first two eggs for breakfast this morning and she said they tasted pretty good. :)

5. Country girl 76

Nov 22, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Gives an idea from the outside split into 3.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by