Chickens starting to cluck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 87shutchins, Oct 5, 2016.

1. 87shutchins

87shutchins New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    My chickens are about 4 months old now. I am pretty sure I have girls, my silver laced started making noise today when I brought out her food and I noticed her comb was starting to turn red. My rir is getting little red wattles. Does this mean they are getting close to being sexually maturte? Or when does the crowing usually start happening if it's a rooster?

2. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps

You'll know it's a rooster before it starts crowing - - it will look like one.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy 87shutchins

Welcome to BYC!

Chickens have a large number of vocalisations and some will natter all day about nothing in particular and others will only pipe up if something is bothering them; it all depends on their chickenality [​IMG]

The comb and wattles reddening is definitely a sign of them maturing and with a hen, a good sign that she is not too far from laying that first egg. Another good sign is if she squats for a rooster if you have one, or she may even squat when you walk up to her.

I agree with FlyWheel that some breeds you can tell if it is a rooster before it starts crowing just by looking at it but some breeds you just do not know until it lays that first eggs or crows.

If you would like some opinions on the gender of your little ones, you could post some pics on the What Breed Or Gender Forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by