Chickens staying in coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2PO2WATCH, Aug 20, 2013.

1. 2PO2WATCH

2PO2WATCH New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Hi. This is my first post. I am from Mississippi. My wife and I have always wanted to raise chickens. We recently moved farther into the county and we now have some birds. We have 4 ameraucana hens and a rooster that are about 5 months old, 2 buff polish about 3 months, and a white silkie about 2 months.
    Now my question. The 4 hens seem to spend almost all their time in the coop. Even when we give them treats the rooster comes running but we just have to kinda run the hens out. Our coop is about 6'x8' and its pretty dark. Is this normal?

2. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    Hey there

Which 4 are not coming out? You listed more than 4. If it's a new area for them, they may be not used to it. They still need to see the coop and the outside as home. If you have a good rooster, he will herd the girls and let them know when it's safe to come out of the coop. If it's a new rooster, then the hens may not trust him yet.If this is the case, just be patient. My rooster made it clear to the ladies that they couldn't come off the roost without him checking everything out without his permission!! But he was also very nice to let them know where there was food and when it was time to go back into the coop.

Do you have a big yard or a run? Maybe you need a run surrounding the coop to encourage the girls to leave? If you are comfortable, get them out of the coop to run around and don't let them go back into the coop for a time so they get used to their outsides. And have more patience.

Good luck! I have the opposite issue, my girls ALWAYS want out and they let me know.

3. 2PO2WATCH

2PO2WATCH New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    It's the 4 ameraucana hens. The rooster is the same age. They have all been in the coop and run since they were about 6 or 7 weeks old. The two little polish come right out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by