Chickens staying in the Coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, May 25, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Ok,I went out at 5:40 to let everyone out.Of course it was still pretty dark,but the door was opened and a few chickens came out, 30 minutes later it begun to lighten up,and still nobody.So,eventually my rooster got up and went out,then a couple of hens followed behind.Now,there are a few hens who visit the roost and coop often,but this was like 6 or 7 hens,3 who I am very concerned about because they never get sick,and always are alert,and if anything happens are lure.

lead hen is the coop,a hen who was attacked by a fox 2 years ago was in the coop,a few hens who i'm sure have experienced "Fox encounters",were in the coop.(these are the hens who still remain.)

Now,do you guys think coyotes tried raiding the coop?

Or are they sick?maybe they are watching over my broody?

Here is little back story one them.They did catch MG.But,everyone survived it and remain healthy,in fact,some don't even catch it.Do you think this has something to do with it?I had a hen die over last week.Not sure whats going on.....

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My birds become wary and stay in the shed when predators are around or have visited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by