Chickens staying out in the dark

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ca, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    I have an automatic chicken door that closes when it gets REALLY dark. Nevertheless some of my 8+ week old chickens decide to stay out frequently. Is that a teenager thing or do I need to trick them somehow into getting inside? They seem fairly reluctant when I find them outside and try to send them in. Happens maybe twice a week. Not always the same birds or number of birds.
    They have food and water available 24/7 inside the coop. I do not feed or give water outside. They are probably just having too much fun outside...
    Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    any chance the other chickens are not letting them in?

If thats not the issue - try feeding them inside the coop (throw it on the floor) when you want them to come in.

It won't take them long to figure it out.

3. ca

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:They are the only chickens in that coop/run (teenage heaven). So you are thinking about some conditioning? I am doing some "negative conditioning" right now. I send the dog out when it gets dark. He can't get in the run but when he shows up they run in the coop. I'll try your idea, I like it. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. DrakeJake

DrakeJake Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    lol thts hilarious and if it works why not. Trooper my rottie comes into my pen with me and pathetically follows the flock for delicious treats they leave behind so i dont have the luxury of a slave doing my work for me since they could care less about him. i have a large...huge pen though and the coup has a door thats always open so they come and go as they please anyway. watching my ducks, chickens and dog interreact is just the most awesome thing, i love it

5. savannahchickmom

savannahchickmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Savannah, Missouri
    I had a few chickens that did that last summer. They were much happier roosting in the trees than inside with the rest of the flock. They interacted fine during the day, but wanted to be left alone to do their own thing at night I guess. 2 of them still do this in the summertime. They have cooped up since the cold set in. The third fell victim to a stray dog one day - made it through all of the nights just fine.

6. ca

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Would it make sense to get a timer and just close the coop an hour later? Or will that cause the rest of them to go out as well? I really thought the chickens were supposed to "know" when it's time to hop on the perches! (I still run one red heat lamp in the coop, does that maybe confuse their sense of timing?)

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Light levels in coop may be too low by time outside levels promote going to roost. Increase light levels slighty by addition of window or low intensity night light.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Darn it! Double post.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  9. ca

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:Light levels in coop may be too low by time outside levels promote going to roost. Increase light levels slighty by addition of window or low intensity night light.

Ahh, that makes sense... I do have a big window but by the time the door closes it's really dark outside. But I don't have a light installed (except the red heat lamp). I bet when they see more light inside than out they'll get it. Definitely worth a try! Thanks! I will have time to get this done over the weekend. I'll report back later about the results [​IMG]

10. CarolAnn

CarolAnn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Kansas
    Chickens don't like to enter a dark coop. I have a flat night light panel in my coop so they always have a small amount of light to get on and off the roosts etc when it's dark. When my hubby put a porch light on the front of my roost, for me, and the chickens made an awful scene when it was time to go in at night. Turned out a wire was touching the metal siding and zapping them when they tried to go thru the pop door. Easily fixed and the trauma didn't affect egg production. ÜÜ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by