Chickens Staying Out Too late!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sgtfirstwife, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Sgtfirstwife

Sgtfirstwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Stedman
    Since Daylight Savings Time my chickens are staying out until 8 or 9 at night. I have to stay out with my chickens due to hawks. We have already lost two chickens to hawks and I don't want to risk anymore.I have tried coaching them in with treats, but there are a stubborn few who run away. Most of my chickens I can pick up, but a few I can't. I would love to be able to let my chickens our for a few hours any time of day when I am working in the yard and know that I will be able to put them back in their run with no problem. Is there a way to make them come when I called? Building a huge covered run is not an option since we are moving in a few months. Any advice is appreciated.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    To make them come when called, say whatever you are going to, and then throw scratch on the ground.

3. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Train them to go insdie the coop by tossing scratch into the coop in the evening at a bedtime you find suitable. It may take a few times to get them all cooperating. Once you get the majority in you might be able to corner and catch the stragglers. I've used this method when I have to leave in the afternoon and won't be home till well after dark.

4. Get some kind of treat and say a word like treats or come something (your choice). Then throw it to the ground in their coop. After a while they will learn that that word means that they will get a treat.
    Good Luck!

5. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I've forgot to lock up my chickens at night on occasion (oops) and found them roaming free in the morning when I got up for work. Throw some feed in the run and they will come-a-running. Just close the door behind them. When you get tired of them free ranging in the evening, throw some feed in your chicken run and lock them in when they go in for the feed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  6. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I use a stick to guide them in to the run. I touch them with it and they move away from it, I walk behind them and switch the stick from one hand to the other, holding the stick out away from me, to move them in the direction that I want them to go in. The stick works most of the time, sometimes they just refuse to go in until their normal time.

7. Gallinaceous

Gallinaceous Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Outta the Woods
    I keep my scratch in a little plastic tub and every time I give them some I shake the tub. I was able to train them relatively quickly to come to that sound.

8. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    I have started letting mine out an hour to 45 minutes before sunset when the weather is good, which hasn't been a lot. LOL Anyway, I try to call them by saying "chick, chick, chick" while I'm inside their run and carrying treats in a container that they've grown accustomed to (tomatoes or scratch or pieces of an apple, all their favorites) if I want them to go in before they are ready. Even after I get mine into their run, sometimes they eat a little more feed, etc. before they all go into the coop to get settled. I noticed they are coming when called more so now than when I first let them out so I think just be consistent with whatever method and they'll figure it out.

9. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I have a red plastic Folgers can that I carry feed in. The chickens are in a sprint when they see me with it. I use it as a tool to put them back in the run/coop when I need to put them up.

10. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    That's a good idea thinking the red color helps as well??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by