Chickens still haven't laid and now don't want to go to bed.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GDeSoto, Jan 7, 2013.

1. GDeSoto

GDeSoto New Egg

May 29, 2012
    Hello!
    I have three hens, 27 weeks old, one Ameraucana and two cochins.
    They still have not laid their first eggs, I am wondering if they are holding out because of the colder weather. Also for about two weeks now they peck at the back door until 9 at night, when they would usually just go into the coop when the sun goes down.
    I am hoping someone has some advise for me.
    Why aren't they laying and why won't they go to bed?!
    Thank you in advance!!

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    As far as laying its not the cold just lack of light during the winter that slows down laying and for sleeping in the coup you could trying locking them in there for a day or two and they should realize it as "home"

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Another thought, and I'm not sure about Ameraucanas I've only had EEs, but my EEs and Cochins took a while to mature. So, add the short daylight hours to a slow naturing breed and you get a longer wait time for eggs. Don't feel bad, I have 4 Silkie hens (9 months old, though 2 of them may be older- I'm not exactly sure how old they were when I got them!) and only one is laying :(

4. GDeSoto

GDeSoto New Egg

May 29, 2012
    Thank you both for the info!!
    Good to know that it is light and not cold that affects their laying process.
    And what throws me off the most about them not wanting to go to bed is that they did it for months on their own as soon as the sun went down and now all of a sudden they are night owls and will stay up past 9 PM or so. Maybe it is the days got shorter as well, they aren't ready to call it a night when the sun goes down haha.
    I have heard that putting a light in the coop can help during the winter months, have either of you had experience with that?
    And thank you howfynkyisyourchicken (cute name!) that makes me feel better about the whole not laying yet ordeal ;).

5. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I have a light in both my coops on a timer so I can change it with the changing daylight hours. It comes on about 10 minues before dusk and seems to "invite" the girls in. It only stays on for about 30 minutes total but that is enough time for them to get into the coop and up on the roosts before it gets completely dark. I had the same problem; mine didn't want to go to bed but if I wasn't outside with them they would come up on the deck because they could see the lights in the house. Chickens don't see after dark so it is important for them to be in a protected place before it becomes completely dark to prevent predator attacks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by