Chickens Still Not Laying...Do they need a light?

Alagrace

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
Will my pullets lay eggs without having a light in their house? I bought them in July all ranging from 2 -3 months old that would make them 7-8 months old now. I have 3 Easter Eggers, 2 Wyandottes, 1 buff, and 1 Australorp that could lay any day. Will they lay without a light or do we need one going for eggs? The coop we have doesn't have a window in it yet so it is dark inside when they are inside. Thanks.

They will lay eventually. This time of year, without a lighting program, one never knows when lay will commence.
They won't lay until the combs and wattles grow and turn red. Also they won't lay till the pelvic bones spread. There should be 2 fingers width or more if lay is imminent.

Without a window, how do they get ventilation. That's more important than food and water.
Shoot for 1 sq. ft. per bird for openings. I like an east window so they catch first light which helps with laying.

There is an 8' x 6" strip of hardware cloth on each side of the eaves for ventilation and I just bought a window to install which I'm hoping to get in today. Thanks for your thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom