Chickens still not laying!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy4chickens2018, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Crazy4chickens2018

Crazy4chickens2018 In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2019
    97A37F46-3CE9-4710-9FC6-8DBF7D741923.jpeg I have about 10 chickens (mostly different coloured Orpingtons) who range from 7-9 months and NONE of them have layed an egg yet! I have been watching since about the end of September and by now I thought I’d have something. All of them have red little combs and wattles. They get plenty of fresh water, the have a clean roomy coop and they free range late in the afternoon(so I am sure they aren’t laying somewhere else) They are on layer feed and all seem healthy and happy....I feel like I have a bunch of spoiled free loaders! What is going on?

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That is the cutest little chicken shelter I've ever seen! Where are you located? Are the days getting longer there or shorter? If you're heading into winter, you may not see eggs from these newbies until after January when the days will be getting longer. That will eventually trigger the laying hormones. Then you'll start seeing the eggs.

3. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Are you sure they don't have a secret stash somewhere?

4. Crazy4chickens2018

Mar 22, 2019
    Thank you, I am quite happy with our little chicken coop and shelter. I am located in Ontario Canada, so yes we are getting shorter days. My Easter Eggers from last year were the same age as these girls as and were all laying by this time and continued laying right through the winter. I guess I was expecting the same. Though I have heard that Orpingtons can take longer to start laying... I was really hoping for eggs by now. My EE’s are all molting and I am lucky to get one or two eggs a day from them. It’s frustrating to have to go and buy eggs when you have 14 chickens at home that you are taking care of and paying to feed! Lol!!

5. Crazy4chickens2018

Mar 22, 2019
    Definitely sure! I will occasionally keep them locked in their run for a week or so to see if they will lay in the nesting boxes but still nothing... I’ve also gone on a few egg hunts in the places they frequent and not an egg in sight‍♀️

chrissynemetz and ValerieJ like this.
  6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Orpingtons- and any heavy bird like to take their time laying. Once one of them starts they all will though....

7. oldhen2345

oldhen2345 Songster

Jun 22, 2015
    East Texas
    That is the cutest coop area I have ever seen. Hopefully you have weather proof housing for the cold winter. Chickens stop laying if there is less than 10-12 hrs of light per day- at least a lot of breeds do. A few do lay through the winter. Mine stopped laying in October and I probably won't see eggs until spring. It is somewhat embarrassing to be seen buying eggs in the store by people who know you have chickens. But, oh well.

8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Mine are laying like crazy- I have mostly this years hens, I do have a light in their coop. The were not laying earlier in the fall- because they were young and were shut ins for a bit, now the young ones are laying and even the old ones.

Seems like they don't want to lay if I am always out bringing snacks.

chrissynemetz and ValerieJ like this.
  9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    do you have more pics of coop?

chrissynemetz likes this.
  10. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    A couple years ago, before I had a storage shed out by the chicken coops and runs, I had straw stored under a tarp in the run. When I lifted the tarp to get some straw, there was a nice little nest with about a dozen eggs in it. They were actually making their way under the tarp, which was weighted down. haha They are clever little birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: